The Ichabod Crane Middle School joined over 29,000 schools nationwide in the fight against blood cancers by participating in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s “Pennies for Patients” Student Series campaign. This fundraising campaign helps people who are sick with blood cancers like leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. Ichabod Middle School students that brought back their collection boxes or collected donations online were be added to “Pennies Wall of Hope” in the lobby.
This year the students raised a grand total of $2,319!
The Middle School wrapped up their fundraising on February 14 with the hugely popular “Stuck for a Buck” activity. During the activity, students receive a large piece of duct tape for every $1 they donate and then help tape the staff persons they voted for to the wall! This year’s staff winners were Adam Vooris, Jeffrey Montague and Marcella Mason.
Some individual fundraising highlights include:
- Mrs. Rickert’s homeroom brought in a record-breaking $468, earning them their choice of a morning breakfast or pizza party for lunch.
- Mrs. Gecewicz’s and Mrs. Bolstad’s homerooms were the second & third highest contributors with $321 & $217, respectively. Both homerooms will receive treats from Dunkin Donuts.
- Homerooms receiving Gold Champion pennants for raising over $300 were Mrs. Rickert and Mrs. Gecewicz.
- Silver Champion pennants went to Mrs. Bolstad’s homeroom for raising between $200-$299.
- Bronze Champion pennant homerooms raising between $100-$199 were Mrs. Carey, Mrs.
Jermain, Mrs. Mallery, Mr. Soulia and Mrs. Walsh
- Including this year – Ichabod Crane has participated in these fundraisers since 2006 – Middle School students have raised a grand total of $14,542 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through the Pennies for Patients campaign!