On January 22, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) authorized high-risk sports to begin practice and competition on February 1, 2021, if permitted by the respective local health authorities. You can see the full guidance released from Columbia County DOH about resuming high-risk sports in schools here.
On February 9, the Columbia County Dept. of Health confirmed to our district that due to the drop in local COVID-19 positivity rates they will allow county school districts to move forward with high-risk sports. During a special meeting later that same evening, the Ichabod Crane Board of Education approved a resolution to resume high-risk sports and practices. This means high-risk winter sports (basketball, wrestling & volleyball) will resume in Ichabod Crane. View the February 9 board meeting agenda with draft resolution here.
The 7-day rolling county positivity rate will need to remain below 4% for actual games to take place and DOH will be looking for the following in participating districts:
- Each school district’s Board of Education or non-public school’s Board of Directors (or other appropriate person/entity) must approve the district/school’s participation in each specific higherrisk sport.
- Each school superintendent/school leader must oversee the creation of a sport-specific preparedness plan, to be approved by the district/school’s medical director.
- Each parent/guardian must sign an informed consent.
- It is recommended that each student-athlete have medical clearance from their healthcare provider.
- Each parent/guardian, student-athlete, and school official must agree to fully cooperate with case investigations and contact elicitation and to adhere to isolation and quarantine orders.
At the February 9 BOE meeting, Ichabod Crane Athletic Director, Tim Stewart, gave an in-depth presentation about the district’s Plan for Resumption of High-Risk Sports (2021 Winter & Fall 2 Seasons). This sport-specific preparedness plan was approved by School District Medical Director, Dr. Baillargeon. View Ichabod’s full plan for resuming high-risk sports here.
We respect and appreciate the guidance our local department of health has provided and continues to provide throughout this pandemic. Their partnership has been essential in assisting county school districts with remaining open in a safe manner.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Athletics Director, Tim Stewart at email@example.com or call 518-758-7575. Thank you in advance for your support and cooperation.