Below you can find a list of health resources on topics such as mental health, substance abuse/recovery and vaping/e-cigarettes.
This page will be periodically updated with more health resources and topics.
Interactive Map for Local Health & Wellness Resources
An interactive map of resources available within a 20+ mile radius of the Ichabod Crane Central School District. This includes doctors, mental health services, crisis services, transportation services, legal services, support groups, food pantries, etc. This interactive resource was created by Ichabod Crane Social Worker, Erin O’Connor-Slater.
VIDEO: Signs of Stress & Trauma That Parents Need to Know About
We invite Ichabod Crane families to watch a video presentation made by members of our Reopening Subcommittee on Student Social, Emotional and Mental Health: Signs of Stress & Trauma That Parents Need to Know About.
The presentation is led by subcommittee members Lina Baker Cortes (an Ichabod Crane parent & volunteer) and Timothy Farley (Ichabod Crane Middle School Co-Principal). This presentation will help you recognize signs of stress and trauma in students, particularly during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
For the most engaging experience, download your own PDF version of the presentation slides below and follow along with the video.
Signs of Stress & Trauma That Parents Need to Know About
Watch Signs of Stress & Trauma That Parents Need to Know About embedded below or watch it on the Ichabod Crane YouTube here.
Narcan Availability During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Need Narcan? Information and Availability
- Due to the increase in overdoses, Greener Pathways and Greene County Family Planning have been working together to increase the Naloxone (Narcan) supply in the local surrounding communities.
Mental Health Resources
Local Mental Health Resources
- Columbia County Mental Health Center
- “Residents of Columbia County with accepted insurance may use the services of the Center.”
- Quick Fact Sheet about CCMHC Services
- Mental Health Association of Columbia-Greene Counties
- “Providing education and advocacy, and to enhance the well being of individuals, families and communities.”
- Find a Mental Health Program Directory (New York State Office of Mental Health)
- “Searchable directory provides information on all programs in New York State that are operated, licensed or funded by the State Office of Mental Health (OMH).”
- Capital District Psychiatric Center (New York State Office of Mental Health)
- “Provides inpatient psychiatric treatment and rehabilitation to patients who have been diagnosed with serious and persistent mental illnesses and for whom brief or short-term treatment in a community hospital mental health unit has been unable to provide symptom stability.”
- School Mental Health and Resource Training Center
- “The Mental Health Association in New York State, Inc. (MHANYS) has established the School Mental Health Resource and Training Center to support all NYS public and private schools”
General Mental Health Resources
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Free, confidential emotional support for people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, across the United States
- Mental Health America
- “Much of our work is guided by the Before Stage 4 (B4Stage4) philosophy – that mental health conditions should be treated long before they reach the most critical points in the disease process.”
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Free Support 24/7 – Text NAMI to 741741
- “Nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.”
Substance Abuse, Addiction and Recovery Resources
Local Substance Abuse, Addiction and Recovery Resources
- Catholic Charities Prevention Newsletter – January 2021
- Columbia-Green Addiction Coalition
- “Explore your recovery supports, learn more about treatment options, as well as how to reduce risk while using.”
- Columbia-Greene Addiction Coalition Events Calendar
- Guide to Addiction and Mental Health Services in Twin Counties (Columbia & Greene)
- Twin County Recovery Services
- “Substance use disorder is not only possible but that it should be within the reach of all citizens…TCRS will not refuse anyone services due to an inability to pay.”
- Greener Pathways
- “A program of Twin County Recovery Services with a focus on opioid and heroin addiction.”
- Weekend/Evening Hotline: 518-822-0090
- Free Daily Mobile Clinician: Online discussion every day (Monday–Friday) at 2 PM for anyone dealing with substance abuse and recovery. Click here to connect online using Zoom.
- Columbia County Pathways to Recovery
- “Made up of individuals who are in recovery from addiction, families and friends impacted by addiction, families who lost a loved one to addiction, and our friends and allies in the larger Columbia County.”
- Family Member Addiction Support Group (Our Wellness Collective)
- Tuesdays at 6:30 PM in Valatie, NY. Not a 12-step program, but for anyone interested in education around addiction and wellness with regular visits from community speakers.
- Friends of Recovery – New York
- “We offer guidance and support to assist communities in building a solid foundation for recovery at the local level.”
- Emergency Room Discharge Guide for Overdoses and Active Withdrawal
- Family to Family Recovery Resources Guide
- New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS)
- “For help and hope call 1-877-8-HOPENY or text 467369. Free, confidential, 24/7.”
E-Cigarette, Vaping and Nicotine Resources
- Freedom from Smoking (American Lung Association)
- Program uses proven activities and tools to help you understand your own relationship with tobacco
- Truth Initiative: Quitting E-Cigarettes
- “Access the new e-cigarette quit program by texting “DITCHJUUL” to 88709. Parents and other adults looking to help young people quit should text “QUIT” to (202) 899-7550.”
- EX Smoker: Learn to Quit Smoking
- “A customized quit plan that learns and grows with you.”
- Public Health Law Center
- Facts about commercial tobacco product (including e-cigarettes) regulations in every state
- New York State Department of Health E-Cigarette Facts and Resources
- “Get the facts about electronic cigarettes and similar vapor products”
- Know the Risks: E-cigarettes and Young People (US Department of Health, Surgeon General)
- “Learn more about the risks e-cigarettes pose to youth and young adults – and share the facts using these Surgeon General’s Report resources.”