The Ichabod Crane District-wide Art Department is committed to enriching our students’ lives through the study and experience of art-making. We offer students a diverse program based on the history of art, individual personal expression, critical thinking and creative problem-solving. Students are exposed to a wide range of media, including tempera, charcoal, ceramics, and computer graphics as they learn skills such as contour drawing, linear perspective, ceramic slab construction, and mixed media collage.
Art education challenges students to use multiple criteria while creating artwork and promotes cultural understanding and global awareness when students respond to art history. In creating art, students build confidence through self-expression, visual communication, and self-knowledge. The art classroom environment encourages interpersonal skills and collaboration as students integrate ideas, materials, and resources into their work.
Ichabod Crane graduates have attended top art schools such as Rhode Island School of Design, New York School of Visual Arts, Pratt Institute, FIT, Rochester Institute of Technology, the Center for Art and Design at the College of St. Rose, and Massachusetts College of Arts to name a few. Graduates of ICC are now working in the fields of fine arts, art history, architecture, industrial design, fashion, textile design, graphic arts, film, children’s book illustration, art education, and art therapy.
Art Department Activities Throughout the School Year:
- Chatham Fair School Art Exhibit
- Portfolio Reviews at Sage College of Albany
- Winter Walk Student Art Exhibit at Hudson Opera House
- Columbia-Greene Community College Juried HS Art Exhibit
- Art Club Empty Bowls Supper at ICHS
- Art in 3 Dimensions Exhibit at Mohonasen HS
- Empire State Plaza Art Exhibit (K-8)
- Media Arts Exhibit at Bethlehem HS
- Regional High School Juried Art Exhibit at the College of St. Rose
- Juried High School Art Exhibit at the Arts Center of the Capital Region
- Olde Kinderhook Fair ICCSD Art Exhibit