Ichabod Crane Performing Arts Program Overview
The Ichabod Crane Central School Music Department is proud to offer a comprehensive program that promotes a love of music while teaching students to be independent musicians. K-8 General Music classes build music foundation skills through experiential learning and performance. Students in grades 5-12 have the opportunity to perform in a wide variety of vocal and instrumental ensembles. Select ensembles are available to students by audition. Additionally, courses in Music Theory allow the more dedicated musician to deepen their musical knowledge and gain a comprehensive, applicable understanding of how music functions.
Through participation in music at Ichabod Crane, students will learn life skills such as self-discipline, teamwork, reliability, positive self-expression, responsibility, and respect for both the art and their fellow musicians.
Ichabod Crane graduates have attended top music schools such as Manhattan School of Music, Ithaca College, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, SUNY Potsdam, SUNY Fredonia, SUNY New Paltz, Bard Conservatory, Nazareth, Wagner, NYU, Hartwick, Berkley School of Music, Hartt School of Music, Schenectady Community College, East Carolina University, Shenandoah Conservatory, and the College of St. Rose. Graduates of ICC are now working in the fields of music performance, opera, musical theatre, music education, music business/management, music/audio production & recording, musical composition, and music therapy.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to one of the district’s music educators. We would love to talk to you about the program!
ICC Music Department Contacts:
- Amy Giammattei, District-Wide Music Dept. Curriculum and Team Leader; and 5th Grade Band and Five-Six Pops
- 518-758-7676, ext. 5402
- Olivia Faure, K-3 General Music
- Melanie Diaz, Grades 4-7 General Music, 5th Grade Chorus
- Joshua Overrocker, Grades 6-8 General Music, 6th Grade Chorus, 7/8 Chorus and Sing Swing
- Alessandra Shellard, Grade 4 General Music, 6th Grade Band, 7/8 Band and Jazz Band
- Jennifer Edwards, High School Band, Jazz Ensemble, Marching Band, Stage Crew
- Karolyn Eberhardt, High School Chorus, Music Theory, Humanities, Spectrum
- Alicia Cowan, Color Guard Advisor
The Crane Acting Troupe
Acting Troupe Contact: Gail Helfer, Advisor/Artistic Director
This school year, The Crane Acting Troupe is celebrating 30 years and 30 productions. This year, the Troupe will present 42nd Street on March 21, 22 and 23, 2024.
The Crane Acting Troupe was organized after two successful seasons of summer musical productions at Ichabod Crane. The Troupe is a self-supporting co-curricular activity open to students in grades 7 through 12 under the advisement of music and theatre teacher Gail Nadeem Helfer. Each year students in the Acting Troupe have the opportunity to attend workshops on auditioning skills, costuming, make-up, and stage crafts. Members of the Crane Acting Troupe are not only performers, but also technical staff and crew members interested in the many tasks associated with theatre, both onstage and backstage.
Community assistance is welcome and has been growing over the years, which provides an opportunity for the expertise of adults to be shared with the students.
Seniors have received the New York State Theatre Education Association’s ‘Certificates of Excellence’ in theatre. Several seniors have served as interns at the New York State Theatre Institute. Alumni of the Crane Acting Troupe have continued their studies in theatre, musical theatre, dance, arts administration, stage management, technical theatre, and scenic design. Recent graduates of these programs have obtained employment as a scenic painter for the Barter Theatre, stage manager for a national tour of Ragtime, stage manager for the Goodspeed Opera House, and ensemble member in the national tour of Ragtime.
Ichabod Crane Marching Band
Marching Band Contact
Jennifer Edwards, High School Band Director
Student membership in the ICC Riders Marching Band is open to:
- All High School Concert Band members
- High School instrumental students who cannot fit band into their schedule,
- 7th and 8th grade band members,
- ICC students (grades 7-12) who wish to join color guard, and
- ICC students (grades 7-12) who wish to join honor guard or auxiliary squad.
Students should attend as much of Summer Band Camp as possible. A sports physical is required of all Riders’ Marching Band members.
TEMPO (To Encourage Music Participation Organization)
A parent/community organization that fosters enthusiasm for music and the performing arts in our school district and community. We support the music and performing arts department in a variety of ways. We encourage feedback and you can contact us at ICCtempo@gmail.com
Kathy Dady, President
Melanie Moon, Vice President
Anne Krizar, Co-Treasurer
Jackie Stigi, Co-Treasurer
Melissa Schieren, Secretary
Past TEMPO Newsletters
- December 2023 TEMPO Newsletter
- December 2022 TEMPO Newsletter
- December 2021 TEMPO Newsletter
- December 2019 TEMPO Newsletter
- December 2018 TEMPO Newsletter
- December 2017 TEMPO Newsletter